Antique jewelry glossary
Welcome to our extensive antique jewelry glossary with around 1,500 jewelry related entries.If you feel you are missing an explanation,
feel free to let us know and we will add it.
Symbolically, the chain represents bonds and communication, matrimony, social or physic integration.
There are many chain types, some of which are:
- anchor: has links of the form used in anchors
- band: series of interlocking links that form a wide, flexible, flat band
- curb: the links are twisted so that they lie flat, a common pattern
- fancy: developments and combinations of different types
- fetter: originally a chain for the feet to hinder movement, now a chain in which long links are combined with an alternation of a series of short links
- rope: a chain of interlocking links, flexible and ropelike
- trace: equal sized, oval, looped links which when stretched will not lie flat because of the alternating horizontal and vertical placement of the links
- venetian: interlocking squares
Jewelry Theme Search
Antique Jewelry Lecture