OUR PHYSICAL SHOP WILL BE OPEN ALL WEEKDAYS EXCEPT WEEKENDS from 10am till 5pm, preferably by appointment.
Our online activities and deliveries will continue operating as usual, and we will remain reachable by phone or online.
Antique jewelry object group: engagement ring (or anniversary ring)
Condition: very good condition
- (more info on our condition scale)
Country of origin: unknown
Style: Interbellum - The interwar period (1918-1939) is understood, within recent Western culture, to be the period between the end of the First World War and the beginning of the Second World War. This is also called the period between the wars or interbellum.
- See also: Interbellum or more info on styles
Style specifics: The Interbellum is the period between the two World Wars and one can recognize a transition from the Art Deco style to the Retro style.
Period: ca. 1930
- (events & facts of this era, poetry of this era, fashion of this era)
Material: platinum (touchstone tested)
- (more info on precious metals)
Extra information: Betrothal rings were used during Roman times, but weren't generally revived in the Western world until the 13th century. The first well-documented use of a diamond ring to signify engagement was by the Archduke Maximilian of Austria in imperial court of Vienna in 1477, upon his betrothal to Mary of Burgundy.
Before the 20th century, other types of betrothal gifts were common. Before the end of the 19th century, the bride-to-be frequently received a sewing thimble rather than a engagement ring. This practice was particularly common among religious groups that shunned jewelry. Engagement rings didn't become standard in the West until the end of the 19th century, and diamond rings didn't become common until the 1930s. Now, 80% of the women are offered a diamond ring to signify engagement. (from: Wikipedia)
Diamond(s): One old European cut diamond with an estimated weight of ± 1.35ct. (colour and clarity: I/J, si/i).
28 old brilliant cut diamonds with an estimated weight of ± 0.30ct. (colour and clarity: F/I, vs/si).
Total diamond count: 29 pcs.
Total diamond weight: approx. 1.65 crt.
- All diamond weights, color grades and clarity are approximate since stones are not removed from their mounts to preserve the integrity of the setting. Also we have all diamonds screened by the IJGC - lab (www.ijgc-worldwide.com) for whether they are natural or synthetic, and all diamonds in this jewel are 100% guaranteed to be natural!
Precious stones: 27 emeralds with an estimated weight of ± 0.20ct.
- All color stone weights are approximate since stones are not removed from their mounts to preserve the integrity of the setting.
Birthstones: Diamond is the birthstone (or month stone) for April and emerald for May.
- (more info on birthstones)
Hallmarks: No trace.
- (more info on hallmarks)
Dimensions: top of ring 1,31 cm (0,52 inch) x 1,29 cm (0,51 inch) - See picture with a ruler in cm and inches
Weight: 4,00 gram (2,57 dwt)
Ring size Continental: 59 & 18¾ , Size US 8¾ , Size UK: R
Resizing: Free resizing (only for extreme resizing we have to charge).
- (more info on ring sizes)
Adin Reference Nº: 19336-0071
Copyright photography: Adin, fine antique jewellery
Jewelry with birthstones (or month stones) for:
January - February - March - April - May - June - July
August - September - October - November or December.
jewelry glossary - wall of fame - visit us in Antwerp - subscribe to our mailinglist.
What is antique jewelry? - What is estate jewelry? - What is vintage jewelry?