We offer layaway, spread payments on the piece of your dreams. Ask us for details. Free insured shipping on all orders !!!
Antique jewelry object group: engagement ring (or anniversary ring)
Condition: good condition
- (more info on our condition scale)
Country of origin: unknown
- See also: vintage jewelry or more info on styles
Style specifics: Abstract motives and geometrical forms are quite typical for the Art Deco period. Art Deco moved away from the soft pastels and organic forms of its style predecessor, Art Nouveau, and embraced influences from many different styles and movements of the early 20th century, including Neoclassical, Constructivism, Cubism, Modernism, and Futurism. Its popularity peaked in Europe during the Roaring Twenties and continued strongly in the United States through the 1930s. Although many design movements have political or philosophical roots or intentions, Art Deco was purely decorative.
Period: ca. 1920
- (events & facts of this era, poetry of this era, fashion of this era)
Material: 18K yellow gold (touchstone tested)
- (more info on precious metals)
Technique: The rose cuts are set on foil. This is a special technique that was used to bring the lustre of the diamonds to its best quality.
Extra information: Betrothal rings were used during Roman times, but weren't generally revived in the Western world until the 13th century. The first well-documented use of a diamond ring to signify engagement was by the Archduke Maximilian of Austria in imperial court of Vienna in 1477, upon his betrothal to Mary of Burgundy.
Before the 20th century, other types of betrothal gifts were common. Before the end of the 19th century, the bride-to-be frequently received a sewing thimble rather than a engagement ring. This practice was particularly common among religious groups that shunned jewelry. Engagement rings didn't become standard in the West until the end of the 19th century, and diamond rings didn't become common until the 1930s. Now, 80% of the women are offered a diamond ring to signify engagement. (from: Wikipedia)
Diamond(s): One large rose cut diamond. with an estimated weight of ± 1.30ct.
- All diamond weights, color grades and clarity are approximate since stones are not removed from their mounts to preserve the integrity of the setting. Also we have all diamonds screened by the IJGC - lab (www.ijgc-worldwide.com ) for whether they are natural or synthetic, and all diamonds in this jewel are 100% guaranteed to be natural!
Precious stones: 22 emeralds
- All color stone weights are approximate since stones are not removed from their mounts to preserve the integrity of the setting.
Birthstones: Diamond is the birthstone (or month stone) for April and emerald for May.
- (more info on birthstones)
Hallmarks: No trace.
- (more info on hallmarks)
Dimensions: top of ring 1,07 cm (0,42 inch) x 2,08 cm (0,82 inch) - See picture with a ruler in cm and inches
Weight: 4,00 gram (2,57 dwt)
Ring size Continental: 54 & 17¼ , Size US 6¾ , Size UK: N
Resizing: Free resizing (only for extreme resizing we have to charge).
- (more info on ring sizes)
Adin Reference Nº: 20155-0498
Copyright photography: Adin, fine antique jewellery
Jewelry with birthstones (or month stones) for:
January - February - March - April - May - June - July
August - September - October - November or December.
jewelry glossary - wall of fame - visit us in Antwerp - subscribe to our mailinglist.
What is antique jewelry? - What is estate jewelry? - What is vintage jewelry?