Which materials are utilised to enhance our aesthetic appeal? The immediate (yet not sole) response is "Metals" and "stones".
Metals can be categorised into:
Stones can be classified into:
Other materials encompass:
- synthetic gemstones, crafted, for instance, using the Verneuil method.
- strass developed by Frederic Strass (1710-1773) in Strasbourg; in essence, a transparent, colourless glass with a significant lead concentration, readily facetted.
- enamel (fused glass)
- polished steel as a substitute for marcasite (which is itself affordable)
- organic materials like ivory, amber, shells,
- less renowned materials include cow horn, elephant hair, animal hides (leather) and fish skins (such as shark or stingray)
Antique Jewelry Lecture
About Adin Antwerp
Jewelry Theme Search